Change in service provider associated with a funding request (SPIN Changes)
In certain situations, applicants and service providers can request to change service provider information, such as when the original provider was not able to provide all or some of the services or equipment, or the applicant provided the wrong Service Provider Identification Number (SPIN), also known as a 498 ID, during the submission of the ECF FCC Form 471. This is often called a “SPIN Change.” However, service providers are not required to have a SPIN unless they are invoicing on behalf of the applicant. Therefore, SPIN Changes may also refer to general service provider information changes. A SPIN change may either be a corrective SPIN change or an operational SPIN change.
A corrective SPIN change is a notification to USAC that the SPIN associated with a Funding Request Number (FRN) is not correct. This occurs when:
- The applicant or USAC made a data entry error, or
- A change occurred that was not initiated by the applicant.
Corrective SPIN changes include the following:
- Data entry errors were made when the ECF FCC Form 471 was submitted. This includes entering the wrong SPIN on the ECF FCC Form 471 or entering the wrong SPIN because your service provider has multiple SPINs and you chose the wrong SPIN.
- A merger or acquisition. The original service provider has merged with, or has been acquired by, another company and the SPIN indicated on the FRN has changed.
- Other instances when the SPIN indicated on the ECF FCC Form 471 changed when you did not initiate the change.
An operational SPIN change is a request to change the actual service provider associated with an FRN. The change in service providers is the result of a deliberate decision by the applicant.
Timing. Corrective SPIN changes can be requested during the course of review and before the Funding Commitment Decision Letter (FCDL) has been issued, and up until the last date to submit an invoice. Operational SPIN changes must be submitted no earlier than the date of your FCDL and no later than the last date to submit an invoice. USAC will not process requests for pre-commitment operational SPIN changes.